The historic train depot house that stands at the entrance of the campground, is one of the 2 surviving buildings from the flood of 1949 that destroyed what remained of the timber logging town of Stokesville. It is a representation of our proud significance in the history of the town. Built in 1902, it served as the hub for the passenger depot for the Chesapeake Western Railway.
Read more about the history of the Stokesville area here: https://www.friendsofshenandoahmountain.org/uploads/1/7/4/4/17446555/stokesville2.pdf and the flood that wiped most of it out: https://www.friendsofshenandoahmountain.org/flood-of-1949—stokesville.html
Stokesville and Agritourism
Historical farming in connection with the campground, formerly Stokesville Park, linked agricultural production with tourism to attract visitors to the area. Today it continues to connect the next generation to conservation and sustainable farming practices, as well as bringing people to an area where they can recreate in the great outdoors in the George Washington National Forest.